HEPS-Uganda has for the last three years been supporting communities to find measures to prevent maternal mortality due to unsafe abortion in Kamuli district. This is being done through community level engagement and research to increase access to safe services for prevention and management of unwanted pregnancies for marginalized women and youth of reproductive age in Kamuli, Uganda.
“Access to Sexual reproductive and health rights Commodities and Medicines to Prevent Maternal Mortality due to Unsafe Abortion Project” (ASA) project has since made the following;
- The sub county leaders prioritized SRH in the budget to fight unsafe abortions. A budget of 4,700,000/= was allocated in 6 sub counties to create community awareness on unsafe abortions and unwanted pregnancies
- Five (5) sub county leaders petitioned the schools to avail space in school for SRHR sensitization to prevent unwanted pregnancies which would cause unsafe abortions among young girls.
- 8 school clubs and 7 youth friendly corners have been established by community monitors and leaders in the respective sub counties in Kamuli district.
- Six Sub counties formulate by- laws on ending teenage pregnancies through community interface commitments. This was intended to reduce cases of unsafe abortions which are common among young girls
- The project led to the formation of Male Action Groups (MAGs) to increase male involvement in promoting SRHR services in the district. Eight male action groups have been established by the sub county leaders and these are mobilizing men for SRHR services to reduce unwanted pregnancies and unsafe abortions.